Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Reasons I fell for the funny fat friend. By Becca Ann

Book review  REASONS I FELL FOR THE FUNNY FAT FRIEND  By Becca Ann




What the book says about itself:

It's stupid to fall for your brother's ex. It's even worse to enlist another's help to win the ex over. But Brody is desperate and Hayley, his partner in American Sign Language, is more than willing to lend him a few tips. She’s the school’s ‘matchmaker’, and with her bizarre and positive personality, Brody finds her easy to talk too, even about the most awkward situations. Hayley’s tips seem to be working, but as Brody learns more about his matchmaker, he starts finding reasons to spend time with her, and not the girl he thought he was in love with. But Hayley isn’t ready to fall for anyone. Labeled the “Funny Fat Friend” within her group, her self image makes it impossible for Brody to share his feelings without Hayley shrugging it off as a joke. Convincing her Brody can, and did, fall for the “Funny Fat Friend” turns out to be a lot harder than simply falling in love.
What I have to say about it:

This was a cute book overall, but it was sort of offensive in places. Maybe it was because it was told from a teenage boys point of view. He was sort of crude in places, and I was very relieved when he changed his language because Hayley didn’t like the way he talked. There was also a lot of sexuality and reference to sex in it. I know that’s the “norm” for kids these days. (makes me sound like an old prude, but I guess I am) I don’t think it needed all the reference to sex and that the kids in it seemed to treat a sexual relationship as so casual and as something not important.

The things I liked about this were how Brody could see all the good qualities in Hayley. How Hayley was struggling with her own self image and that Brody could see past the whole “you have to be model perfect” image so many girls struggle with. I liked the set up in the book, the Chapter headings cracked me up a lot of the time. I liked how it came gradually for Brody to realize why he was falling for Hayley, and how even though he was trying to prove he liked her, he still screwed up and made mistakes along the way. It seemed like a very real portrayal of a true to life situation.
 
Check it out on Amazon HERE
Check it out on Barnes and Noble HERE

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book too! Here's my review if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/08/reasons-i-fell-for-funny-fat-friend-by.html

    Thanks and have a nice day!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete