Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Getting past the block.

I'm in a block. It's pretty big. I have room to move, I have life to live, I have things to do in this block, but I can't get past it.

I tried writing in my newest project, but it just wasn't going where I wanted it to go. I started having all these thoughts about how terrible of a writer I am because I can't get past it. That I can't think of a story other than the one I finished that I'm querying about.
I gave up last night and started watching one of my favorite show on hulu.com. Then I went to bed without having progressed at all in my story. As I lay in bed trying to fall asleep, (I can lay there for hours and still not fall asleep) I started thinking of all the books I've loved. How great they were and how I wished I could do something as amazing. Then I realized, I'd never get something amazing out there if I quit. I began thinking of all the stories I'd had churning over and over in my head over the years. None that I had ever thought of writing down, because I only decided to give writing a try about 9 months ago. I also thought of continuing my first completed book because I left it open enough to go forward if I wanted to.
I still don't think I'll be able to just pop out a book in the next couple of months, but I will get something out there in the next little while. And will all begin with me opening up a blank page and starting to type.

Imagine me climbing out of a box and walking away from my block.
Here I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment