Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Book Review. Fair Maiden by Cheri Schmidt


Fair Maiden by Cheri Schmidt
 
This was a fun read. Magical and seemingly paranormal, but with a twist I didn't expect. The characters were well developed. I loved them. Christian Sparks, an Earl moves into an old Castle. When his presence wakes up the "ghost" who's been trapped for centuries in a hidden room. She can't remember who she is, or where she came from, or how she died. He can see her but no one else can, unless she chooses for them to. She's transparent though so she can't be passed as anything but a ghost. 

Christian can't get his inheritance from his father to maintain this castle and grounds until he gets married. (Silly parents) but he doesn't have any prospects for marriage and he's of course fallen for this ghost. 

The ghost (who we eventually learn her name is Tessa) knows she can't have him, but is still connected to him. She can't leave the castle grounds because of the spell around it, but when Christian goes to a ball to meet some ladies his mother is insisting he pick a bride from, Tessa calls his name and is transported there. And that makes things fun because sometimes she flits back and forth from being ghost like to being flesh and blood. But no one knows when it's gonna happen. Through the workings of a spell and with the help of a witch, they figure things out and learn who Tessa really is, but that's just the beginning of what they need to do. They've got to end the spell that's on her, and save her from the threat that caused her to be under that spell in the first place. 

This book was fast paced, engaging, romantic without getting blushworthy, and like I mentioned, not what I expected when I first started it. Nice twist. The only thing I didn't like was the epilogue where I'm not sure if they were leaving things open for a sequel or if it was just a tease for me to think of what happens next on my own.
 
Check it out on AMAZON HERE.
 
Check it out on Barnes and Noble HERE
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I grabbed it since it was free and I've had my eye on it for a while, but some of these free books lately have tricked me. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete