Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dr. Seuss = Genius

I know I'm a little late on this, but it was Dr. Seuss's birthday this past week. My kids enjoyed some Dr. Seuss related activities at school and on Friday they were invited to bring their favorite book to school for a read-a-thon.

My daughter took a library book she had, but my son in 1st grade took Hop on Pop. That is his favorite one since he can read it all by himself without feeling like he's struggling on every other word. He read it every day for weeks for his reading homework. I must say Dr. Seuss was definitely a genius. I know he wrote other books besides the common ones you hear about for young readers, but I haven't read any of them. I may be simple, but I love his early reader books. Especially the rhyming ones.

Fox in Socks, and Oh Say Can You Say are some awesome tongue twisters, but I love the "Oh the Places You'll Go." He gives such good advice and fun reads with such simple words. No one will ever be able to write like he did and be as loved.

As a side note, I saw a post on Facebook, though I don't remember who posted it. It said something about how their child's school was doing a week long Dr. Seuss week, but with Presidents day the week before, not much was said about two of the most important Presidents of the United States history. I totally understand her concern, but I think I also understand the reason Dr. Seuss is so celebrated. Just seeing my own son love reading when he pulls out a Dr. Seuss book makes me have hope that he'll find success in school. Learning about the Presidents will come, but for now, I'm totally in favor of schools doing something in honor of an amazing author.

What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

1 comment:

  1. I love Happy Birthday to You! It's one of the first books I remember from when I was little. I've given it to grown friends as a gift too:)

    ReplyDelete