Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Read the types of books you want to write.

I have been told from many different sources to read the types of books you are wanting to write. Get a feel for what is out there. See how other writers did it. Learn how to do it by seeing how it was done.
There are many books out there I've read, just because I happened to come across them in the Young adult section of the library.
Other books have been suggested to me by others who have read them.

Many times a best seller was enjoyable to me, but I have loved others that weren't nearly so popular. I do think having others recommend a book is a good thing, but I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed by something because it didn't meet the expectations I had from the glowing praise given it. Kind of like movies that same way I guess.

I also know the kinds of books I have loved and told others to read, haven't met their expectations. There are so many opinions on books. Good thing there are so many books out there. At least each one should be loved by at least one person.

But I must say I really love the "research" part of this writing business. I can't wait to open another book to read while I "research" how that author crafted their story.



No comments:

Post a Comment