Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Happy Birthday Dan Wells




Hi! I'm Dan Wells, author of the Partials Sequence, and I'm very excited to tell you that today is my birthday! Woohoo! And because it's my birthday, I want to ask you a small favor:

Contribute to charity.

The post-apocalyptic world of Partials is fun to read about, in part, because of how desolate it is: the characters live in a wasteland, scavenge desperately for food and clean water, have virtually no electricity, and live in constant fear of disease, bad weather, vicious criminals, and marauding bands of enemy soldiers. The horrifying, inescapable truth is that this is not science fiction: there are millions of people, all over the world, who live in conditions even worse than these every day of their lives--people who would look at the deadly world of Partials as an absolute paradise. Kira, my main character, has dedicated her life to helping other people. We have the power and the opportunity to do the same, and I think that gives us a responsibility to step up and do it.

Yes, I have a book coming out next week, and yes, I'd love it if you'd buy a copy. I'd love it even more if you'd buy two copies and give one to a friend. But you know what? I don't need your money. I have a house, and food, and clothes, and running water, and wireless Internet, and really when you think about it I'm incredibly, amazingly blessed. Not only do I have a job, I love my job, and if times get tight I can just write more books, which is what I want to do with my time anyway. So don't worry about me. Take the money you would have spent on my book and give it to someone who really needs it--someone who's trying to fight hunger, or cure a disease, or overcome poverty and poor education. If you can afford to both buy my book AND contribute to a charity, take a moment to consider how amazing that is. That puts you at a level of disposable income most people in the world can only dream about. You have the power to make an incredible difference. Don't waste it.

I've listed some awesome charities here, or you can pick your own:

Vitamin Angels  Click HERE  
- Give life-saving vitamins and other care to pregnant women, new mothers, and children under five. Kira would be proud.

Heifer International Click HERE  
- Fight hunger and poverty through education, empowerment, and sustainable initiatives. This group is the very definition of "teaching a man to fish" instead of just giving him a fish and calling it a day.

Midwest Food Bank   Click HERE 
- Not all hunger is in other countries. This and other American charities are helping the people right under your nose, that most of us don't even see.

Project C.U.R.E.   Click HERE 
- The largest provider of donated medical supplies and equipment in the world.

Books For Africa  Click HERE  
- Literacy and education have a stronger long-term effect than literally any other charitable effort, bar none.

The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law   Click HERE   

- Mental health is an issue particularly close to my heart. Mental disorders are common enough that I can pretty much guarantee everyone reading this has a relative or close friend who struggles with one. Help give them the rights, access, and dignity they deserve.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dan, and thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your words of wisdom and advice.

Here's his newest release. RUINS Book 3 in the Partials Sequence

Go to Dan's Amazon page to see the books he's got available:  AMAZON 
If you are a Nook fan, check him out on Barnes and Noble HERE
To find Dan's website, go HERE 
He's involved in one of my favorite podcasts for writers and other creative people. Go see Writing Excuses 

Overall, check Dan out and celebrate his birthday with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment